Buying a wig for the first time can be overwhelming. There are cheap synthetic and expensive human hair wigs in various color options, lengths, and styles. Millions of people from all walks of life wear wigs daily, and the global wig market is expected to climb to more than $10 billion by 2023.
Picking the perfect wig from the endless variations can be a daunting task. How can you feel confident in your choice in a crowded marketplace of misinformation?
1 Hair type: human hair wigs VS. synthetic wigs
When buying a wig, your first decision is between synthetic and human hair. Previous blogs have covered the differences in detail, but let's explore the basics again.
Human hair wigs
- Human hair wigs are made from 100% human hair and can be customized and styled daily. However, it is important to note that there are different types of human hair and two main categories: European and Asian.
- Asian hair makes up 98% of the market, with only about 2% of real hair wigs using quality European hair.
- Synthetic wigs are attractive because they come out of the box and are often more affordable. However, they have limitations in styling and a shorter lifespan than real hair wigs.
- You will also notice synthetic wigs have a high gloss finish and do not look as natural as real hair, especially in daylight. Synthetic wigs contain a variety of fibers and lack natural texture and flow.
- Keep in mind, that buying multiple synthetic wigs over time can also become expensive.
2 Four aspects to consider
1 Cap Construction
- The importance of cap construction when buying a wig cannot be overstated. This is because it can significantly impact your comfort, styling preferences, and how you like your hairline and parts to look.
- Your natural hair also plays an important role in choosing the right cap. Many want to choose a wig cap with the best grip and security. The following are the various wig cap constructions and their respective characteristics.
Lace front cap
- The lace front cap has a vented lace across the forehead, creating a seamless hairline. Venting is done by hand, with 1-3 hairs knotted in the lace. The lace is translucent and blends easily with your natural skin tone. The hairline draws the hair away from the face for a more natural look.
- Features an under-venting, in-front hairline technique that blends in with your natural hair. Great for wearing bangs or side fringes.
100% hand knotted/knotted
- Moves most naturally as each hair strand is individually knotted and tied to the spandex cap. The most comfortable and softest wig cap style for all-day wear. Lightweight and breathable. Easy to style, tie in a ponytail or bun, comb through, and clean.
- Machine weft back
Hair is sewn to the rail and then sewn to the back of the wig.
Spandex cap construction
The back of the wig may feel heavier and thicker due to the extra material.
Sturdy construction for worry-free wear.
There are 3 main lengths to choose from.
Short wigs Mid-length wigs Long wigs
Straight: straight and flat.
Wavy: flowing and bouncy, but not curly.
Curly: Heat-resistant and bouncy.
3 Popular wig styles for 2023
If you love wigs, plan to invest in a new hairstyle, or want to learn more about our research, check out the latest wig trends for 2023.
- Each season we see a change in the popular bob's style; for summer 2023, the focus will be on longer bobs, 14 to 16 inches long, with a lace center section.
Short Straight Cuts
- A straight cut is a hairstyle where the hair appears to be cut to the same length. This makes sense in a shorter wig with a more pronounced cut. We will see a lot of straight and textured hair in this style.
Short curly fringe
- This trend started in 2022 and is still gaining momentum. By 2023, we'll see this style come in many different forms, from tousled and wild to pieced-together wet looks. There will also be many colors, especially browns and blondes, which are the most popular colors for the New Year.
- You'll notice that texturized hair will be everywhere next year, from short to long hair. The good news is that if your straight wig is still in great shape, you can easily achieve this hairstyle without spending money on a new one.